Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit – Do You Qualify?

Do you think you may be eligible for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit? Sometimes it is hard to decipher whether or not you may be able to claim for a benefit. It can also feel like it is impossible to find the answers to your questions.

Industrial InjuriesThere is no way of being able to tell for sure whether you will receive the benefit until you go through the process. However, this should give you a good idea as to whether you will be eligible and set you on the right path.

Am I eligible?

You may be entitled to this disablement benefit if you have been injured as a result of accidents at work. You may also qualify if you have contracted prescribed diseases, such as asthma.
If you have experienced an industrial injury, it is possible that you may be entitled to Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) if:

• You were under employment when the accident happened
• You were on a training course when the accident happened
• The accident at work occurred in Wales, Scotland or England

work accident

You might be able to claim IIDB if your job or training course caused your disease. Lots of diseases are covered and some you can see below:

• Asthma
• Deafness
• Diffuse mesothelioma
• Pneumoconiosis

You can see the full list here, to find out whether you may be eligible for this benefit. The list is long, so make sure you know what you are looking for before you start trawling through.

How much will I receive?Constant Attendance Allowance

It is worth noting that your level of disability will decide the amount of benefit you will receive. You will be assessed on a scale of 1 to 100%. The percentage you are awarded will be determined by a medical advisor who has evaluated you. Usually, you must be deemed as 14% disabled or more to receive the benefit. If you are considered to be 100% disabled, the weekly amount you could receive is £169.70. If considered 50% disabled, you would receive around £84.85 a week. If you were 20% disabled, the weekly amount is about £50.91.
Is industrial injuries benefit means tested?

Industrial Injuries Disablement benefit is not means tested. It is also not a taxable benefit.

How do I claim?

To apply for the benefit, you will need to fill out a form and post it. The form comes with a helpful set of notes that will assist you with filling in the form and information on where to send it.
You can print a form yourself by downloading it from the site. There are different forms for accidents and diseases caused by work. The accident form is formed BI100A, and the disease form is form BI100PD.

If you do not have internet access or access to a printer, you can phone the IIDB centre and ask them to send you one. The industrial industries benefit contact number is 0345 758 5433, and you may be charged to make the phone call. You can also ask for the form to be sent in braille, large print and audio when you phone up.

If anything changes, like your address, or if your situation gets better or worse, you need to notify the centre as soon as you can.

CompensationIndustrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Separately from IIDB, you may be entitled to industrial injury compensation. Your employer should have worker compensation insurance in place. This is to cover a workplace accident claim or any industrial disease claims. If you want to seek compensation, you should seek legal advice before you proceed. The best no win no fee solicitors will be happy to help with his and provide guidance.

Other Benefits

If you can claim IIDB, there are other benefits you may be entitled to as well:

Constant Attendance Allowance or CAA is payable if you have a 100% disability assessment and you need care and attention. The amount that is paid will depend on the amount of care you need and how often you need it.

Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance (ESDA) is paid alongside CAA. You may receive this if your care looks to be permanent and you are receiving CAA at one of the higher rates.

Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA) could be claimed if your earnings are reduced as a result of your accident or disease. You can only claim for this if your accident happened, or your condition began before 1st October 1990.

Retirement allowance is claimable if you had received REA and stopped working when you reached retirement age. You do not have to claim this – it will be automatic when you finish work.


Click Here to Leave a Comment Below

Leave a Comment: